About Beth David Synagogue
Welcome to Beth David Synagogue in Greensboro, North Carolina!
Beth David Synagogue is an egalitarian and inclusive synagogue of the Conservative movement that brings an authentic and caring Jewish tradition to embrace and repair our world. We encourage members to grow in Jewish learning through study of Torah and in Jewish practice through mitzvot. We strive to build a welcoming and innovative synagogue that engages our diverse members and that shares Jewish values with the general community.
First Time Visitor?
Dual Faith Families
Staff and Leadership
Meet Our Rabbi
Its house of worship shall be known as Beth David Synagogue…
History of the Greensboro Conservative Hebrew Congregation
The Greensboro Conservative Hebrew Congregation, Inc. was formed at a meeting of 24 charter members in December 13, 1944 and incorporated by the State of North Carolina on December 28, 1944. Based on a desire for a more traditional style of worship, the charter group began the congregation, arranged a meeting with the United Synagogue of America and chose to follow the precepts of Conservative Judaism. The charter group chose the name Beth David for its synagogue in honor of David and Bessie Stadiem, z”l, whose lives of service and piety were worthy examples for congregants to follow.
The congregation adopted a Constitution and By-Laws in November of 1945 and began holding regular Shabbat services in February 1946. Initially, the congregation worshipped in local spaces such as the Masonic Temple, the original O. Henry Hotel in downtown Greensboro and the public library.
In March of 1946, land on East Lake Drive in Greensboro was purchased and a groundbreaking was held on January 25, 1947. Religious services, religious school and social events were held at the East Lake Drive location which became the focal point of the Conservative Jewish community in Greensboro. In 1964, the congregation purchased eight acres of land in the Hamilton Forest area of Greensboro and moved to its current location on Winview Drive in 1982.
Since its move in 1982, Beth David has expanded its facilities to 77,000 square feet. The complex now includes a 350-seat sanctuary and a 75-seat chapel, administrative offices, a social hall that can host 400 at a seated dinner and a large educational wing that houses B’nai Shalom Day School, a school for pre-K through 8th grade.
In its over 70-year history, Beth David has been led by 11 rabbis, of whom four had long tenures; the current rabbi will have served 25 years on his retirement in 2017. With its current membership of 430 member units, Beth David continues to be an example of Conservative Judaism in ritual observance, educational offerings and social activities, steeping congregants in history and tradition while welcoming changes the modern world brings to its doors.